Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Quinoa Pilaf with Lemon & Thyme

I found this yummy recipe in our local newspaper.  Even the hubs liked this healthy meal!  Can't wait to make it again!

Quinoa Pilaf with Lemon & Thyme
1 onion minced
1 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and dried on a towel
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp. minced fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. dried
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tbs. minced fresh parsley, basil, cilantro, or scallions

Combine the onion and oil in a large saucepan.  Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, 8-10 minutes.
Stir in the quinoa, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the quinoa is lightly toasted and aromatic, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the broth, lemon zest and thyme and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the quinoa is transparent and tender, 16-18 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat, lay a clean folded kitchen towel across the top of the pot and replace the lid.  Let sit for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork.  Stir in lemon juice and fresh herbs.  If you like season with salt and pepper to taste.

Side note:
I omitted the salt from the recipe and did not miss it all.  There were so many rich flavors from the broth, lemon, and herbs.  I almost feel that salt might ruin the medley of flavors.  For the fresh herbs I used cilantro.  It's zesty, fresh flavor makes it one of my favorites.  This side dish was a great companion to the salmon my husband grilled on our BBQ using a wood plank.
I did not rinse the quinoa and it was fine.  But after researching I found out why all recipes call for this additional step.  The outer coating of the quinoa leaves a bitter taste and rinsing it helps remove it.  Who woulda thunk it?  Although I will try it next, I did not notice a bitter taste with this specific dish.

No comments: